.net 2.0 target

Feb 11, 2013 at 9:51 PM
Edited Feb 11, 2013 at 10:02 PM
Hey there, first post, great project!

I just downloaded and noticed that it doesn't support .net 2.0 framework. That's a real shame, there are still a lot of reasons to target 2.0 especially for commercial software as you are guaranteed it will run on XP and beyond with no framework install needed, which you aren't guaranteed with 3.0+.

Furthermore, since this is GDI+ / Windows Forms implementation, targetting 2.0 makes even more sense, since with 3.0 you have WPF and the other HtmlRendering solutions available for said platform. For WinForms, this is one of the few games in town, and many Win Forms programmers are still stuck in 2.0 land.

On the surface it looks like supporting 2.0 wouldn't be too much additional work. After removing the Linq refernces (thank GOD it wasn't used!), I noticed that System.Action<T> and HashSet were the only offenders. 6 build errors total across 3 files (DomUtils.cs, CssUtils.cs, ImageLoadHandler.cs).

I'll gladly provide these changes if you'll integrate them. Or if you want to make them that's cool too. ;-) I can temporarily have my project target 3.5 so that I can integrate, but it needs to be moved back to 2.0 within the next few weeks.

Thanks in advance for getting back to me!

Edit: I take that back, it does look like Linq was used, but it looks like not too much. Any chance of getting this retrofitted to target 2.0? It can stay VS 2010. You can just change the Project Properties to target 2.0 instead of 3.5. No need to go back to VS 2005/2008.
Developer
Feb 13, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Thanks for the compliment.

First of all let me say that the next release version (1.4), and all after that will be targeting .NET 2.0.
I will probably add a conditional symbol in the future to support build for 2.0 and 4.0 client profile.

Regarding .NET 3.5, 4.0:
  • .NET 3.5 is part of Windows XP auto update and service packs, and part of 7 so there are very few Windows out there that don't have it (my projects has massive .NET 3.5 users base
  • If you can use WPF it doesn't mean you should, there is significant start-up time, memory and general performance hit, compatibility issue with older PCs that can result in blue screen and compatibility with virtualization (MSTSC, Unity, Citrix XenApp, etc).
  • I'm not aware of any managed html rendering solutions for WPF (didn't looked much though).
  • .NET 4.0 has new CLR with many performance improvements so if you project can use it, it should and so the assembly should benefit it.
Feb 18, 2013 at 9:39 PM
Looking forward to 1.4! Thanks for targetting 2.0 going forward!
Feb 18, 2013 at 10:02 PM
Hey there, do you have an ETA for 1.4 with 2.0 support? What other tricks do you have up your sleeve for 1.4?

I basically need the HtmlLabel as I need a transparent HTML renderer for very basic HTML rendering (just paragaphs and 3 font styles and 2 colors). Not a lot of choices out there for that though... (ie transparent background).

Thanks in advance!
Developer
Feb 19, 2013 at 5:08 PM
v1.4 will be available in 3 weeks or so.

It will contain stylesheet loading improvments, embeded videos, table fixes and more minor fixes.
Your scenario won't have any changes or improvements.
Sep 1, 2013 at 1:44 AM
The version available for download currently does NOT build on the 2.0 framework.
Developer
Sep 1, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Unload the other projects from the solution (in "MultiTarget" solution folder).